Payment confirms your spot, is non-refundable and non-transferrable. These workshops usually sell out, so don’t dilly dally!
Cafe:7am, Port Melbourne
Have you bought a new digital SLR camera, become overwhelmed by all the buttons, switched to auto, then felt frustrated when your pictures weren’t working? You wouldn’t buy a manual car and then try to drive it in auto, so why do that with your manual dSLR camera?
When learning digital photography I believe:
- You should be in control of your camera, not the other way around.
- Confidence improves provided the foundation is built correctly.
- The focus should just be on the buttons you actually need.
- Practice, patience and perseverance makes perfect.
- It’s not about the gear, man!
On Manual in Melbourne is a hands-on, 2 hours, 8 people maximum workshop designed to get you across the photography fundamentals and orientated with your dSLR camera in manual mode.
- The on Manual Camera Guide is brought to life.
- You learn how to set up your camera correctly in manual mode.
- We begin with ISO, aperture and shutter speed.
- How to control them on your camera.
- How to get them working together.
- We learn to capture technically correct exposures.
- We learn how to check for errors and make corrections.
- Altogether, it becomes your 7 Step Shoot Flow.
Who’s it for? If you …
- have a digital SLR camera (or mirrorless) that has full manual mode
- are currently using semi or full auto modes
- would like to get your head around manual shooting
Workshops are run face to face in Melbourne.
No prior photography knowledge is assumed and it’s geared at beginner photographers.
What to bring?
- Your DSLR camera with fully charged battery
- Empty memory card
- Your camera’s manual in your back pocket (just in case we need it)
- Your questions and passion for photography
- Notepad and pen can be handy as we cover a lot of info
- A printout of the on Manual Camera Guide
Who is Beth exactly?
- I hold a BA (Commercial Art) Photography degree from RMIT.
- I’m a practising professional photographer with 14 years experience.
- I’m an award winning member of the AIPP
- I have exhibited internationally.
- I’ve been teaching this workshop since 2010.
- I create a fun, safe and supportive learning environment.
- My teaching style is natural, intuitive and conversational.
‘Had a great time and helped connect the dots….. :-)’ Shelley
‘The workshop was excellent! Great location, beautiful weather and Beth’s tips were very easy to understand and work a treat! I got some amazing shots, and now can use manual settings intentionally, rather than hit and miss. Thanks Beth!’ Andrew
‘Great workshop! I got answers to all my questions. Thanks Beth for sharing your knowledge!’ Chirantha
‘Thank you for the lesson. It was very worthwhile and, indeed, I had some good ‘aha’ moments! From now I will be shooting ‘M’ as much as possible (and doing this with better understanding)!’ Johan.
‘Thanks Beth. I had a few of the basics but it was great to bring them all together. I think practice will be the key.’ Ange
‘I did this workshop with you a while ago Beth after struggling with reading/practicing the concepts associated with Manual Mode. Your personal style and methods of getting these fundamental concepts through to beginners broke through the fog that accumulated in my brain and enabled me to go on to become a fully fledged Manual Moder!! Would recommend this to anyone and thank you!‘ Shiraz
What happens after the workshop
The workshop is comprehensive and hands-on. The time for practice comes afterwards.
- Refer to the on manual camera guide and do the exercises at the back.
- Come along to the The Melbourne Walk and Shoot Group or Photography in Berlin events so you can meet other photo enthusiasts and practice.
- Practice your Shoot Flow whilst sparking creativity in my online creative camera course Your Camera, Your World.
What’s it cost?
$74 per person – groups are limited to 8 so to be fair to all this fee is non-refundable, non-transferrable and payable at signup. You also get a free copy of the on Manual Camera Guide sent to your inbox to prepare.
Cafe:7am, Port Melbourne
Payment confirms your spot, is non-refundable and non-transferrable.